Greek-Style Braised Pork with Leeks
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 lb pork shoulder whole
- 2 lb leek
- 2 cloves garlic
- 14 ½ oz tomato diced, no added salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth low salt
- 1 tsp bay leaf dried
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325°.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Brown half of pork on all sides, about 8 minutes; transfer to bowl.
- Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining pork; transfer to bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, leeks, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper to fat left in pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice, scraping up any browned bits, and cook until tomato liquid is nearly evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in wine, broth, bay leaf, and pork with any accumulated juices and bring to simmer.
- Cover, transfer pot to oven, and cook until pork is tender and falls apart when prodded with fork, 1 to 1½ hours.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste.