- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup onion chopped
- ½ cup carrot chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 2 tsp salt kosher coarse
- 1 lb lentils
- 1 cup tomato
- ½ tsp coriander seed
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- ¼ tsp cardamom ground
- ¼ tsp black pepper ground
- 2 quart chicken broth low salt
- Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and cardamon/pepper and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency.
- Serve immediately.