Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 lb tomato
- 6 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp salt kosher coarse
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper ground
- 2 medium onion fresh yellow
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 oz san marzano tomatoes plum, peeled
- 4 cups basil fresh, whole leaves
- 1 tsp thyme fresh
- 1 quart chicken broth low salt
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Toss together the tomatoes, ¼ cup olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Serve hot or cold.