Simple Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp cumin ground
- 2 tbsp tomato paste no salt
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the onion, celery, and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for one minute longer.
- Add the tomato paste, stir until smooth, and add the stock and lentils.
- Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are very soft.
- Add 1 cup of water if the soup seems too thick.
- Puree in batches in a food processor or blender, return to the pot, and stir in the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.