Turkish Tomato, Bulgur, and Red Pepper Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 1 serving salt & pepper 1.2g
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp spearmint leaf dried
- ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white cooking wine
- 28 oz tomato diced, fire-roasted
- 4 cups chicken broth low salt
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup bulgur dry
- ⅓ cup spearment leaf fresh
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add onion, bell peppers, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until softened and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, dried mint, smoked paprika, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until reduced by half, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and their juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften and begin to break apart, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth, water, and bulgur and bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until bulgur is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, sprinkling individual portions with fresh mint.