- 1 lb black beans
- 4 cups chicken broth low salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion medium
- 1 sweet green pepper medium
- 1 sweet red pepper medium
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin ground
- ½ tsp kosher salt coarse
- Place the beans in a bowl or pot, cover with cold water and allow to soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse before proceeding.
- Alternatively, add the beans to a medium pot and cover with hot water.
- Bring to a boil, and then boil for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow the beans to sit for 1 hour.
- Drain the beans and rinse them with cold water before proceeding.
- In a medium pot, add the soaked beans, chicken broth, 2 cups water, the garlic, onions and green, red and yellow bell peppers.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Then add the chili powder, cumin and salt and stir.
- Cover and continue simmering until the liquid level is to your liking, about another hour.
- Taste for seasoning and add more of what it needs.
- Serve in a bowl with sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges and diced bell peppers on the side.