- 1 lb lentil
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ cup carrot chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt coarse
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 1 cup tomato
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- ½ tsp coriander ground
- ½ tsp cumin ground
- ½ tsp grains of paradise or cardamom
- 2 quarts chicken broth low salt
- Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and grains of paradise and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency.
- Serve immediately.