Steamed Whole Bass
- Steamer or steam tray
- 1.5 lb striped bass or golden pompano
- 3 tbsp ginger root
- 2 scallions medium
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 6 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt kosher coarse
- ¾ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce lower sodium variety
- ¼ tsp white pepper ground
- Clean the fish removing scales and guts. DO NOT SEASON before steaming.
- Steam the fish in your steamer (I use a wok with a bamboo steamer) for 9 minutes or so. The meat should be opaque to the bone, but the bone slightly translucent. If the bone is cooked, the meat is overdone.
- Place fish on a serving plate.
- Spread half the ginger, the green portion of the scallion, and the cilantro over the fish.
- In a saucepan heat 2 tbsp of oil and half of the ginger until ginger begins to sizzle.
- Add the water, salt, sugar, soy sauce, and white pepper and heat until simmering.
- When simmering, add the rest of the oil and the white portion of the scallion. Stir until it begins to sizzle again.
- Spoon the mixture over the fish and serve.