Stir-fry Hakka-style Shrimp and Vegetables
- Wok or flat-bottomed skillet
- 1 cup carrots
- ½ tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp garlic
- 2 cup cabbage napa
- 1 ½ cup broccoli florets
- 1 ½ cup cauliflower florets
- ½ lb shrimp raw
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper ground
- Soak the carrots in about 1 cup of cold water for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the carrot soaking water with the cornstarch.
- In another small bowl measure 1/3 cup of the carrot water.
- Heat the wok or flat bottom skillet until water drops sizzle.
- Add oil and the garlic, and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute or until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until the shrimp just begins to turn orange.
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until the cabbage just begins to wilt.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until the broccoli begins to turn bright green.
- Sprinkle on the salt and pepper, add the reserved ⅓ cup carrot water, and stir-fry a few seconds or until just combined.
- Cover and cook for 30 seconds.
- Uncover, restir the cornstarch mixture, swirl it into the wok, and stir-fry 30 seconds or until the shrimp are just cooked.