Greek Lentil Salad
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups spinach
- ½ red onion
- ⅓ cup tomato sun dried, packed in oil
- 8 kalamata olives whole
- ⅓ cup basil fresh, chopped
- To cook the lentils: First, pick through the lentils and remove any debris (like tiny rocks).
- Pour the lentils into a fine-mesh colander and rinse under running water, then dump the lentils into a medium saucepan.
- Add the water and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Then, drain the lentils and return them to the pot to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium serving bowl, combine the spinach, red onion, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and basil. Set aside.
- Once the lentils have cooled for about 5 minutes, add them to the serving bowl.
- Pour all of the dressing over the salad and toss until blended.
- Taste, and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve in individual bowls with a sprinkle of feta cheese on top, if desired.