Warm French Lentils
- 1 cup le puy green lentils
- 6 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 leek
- 2 carrots
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 onion small
- 1 turnip small
- 4 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt coarse
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saute pan, add the leek and carrots, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the lentils, 4 cups of water, the onion with the cloves, and the turnip in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are almost tender.
- Remove and discard the onion and turnip and drain the lentils.
- Place them in a medium bowl with the leek and carrots.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the 1/4 cup of olive oil, the mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add to the lentils, stir well, and allow the lentils to cool until just warm, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
- The longer the lentils sit, the more salt and pepper you'll want to add.