Herbed Bulgur-Lentil Pilaf
- 1 cup bulgur dry
- ½ cup lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth low-salt
- 5 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 red onion
- 1 sweet yellow pepper
- 3 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp basil fresh
- 2 tbsp chives chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp kosher salt coarse
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Place lentils and 2 cups broth in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes, then reduce to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender and most liquid is dissolved, about 30 minutes.
- Drain any remaining liquid.
- While lentils are cooking, place bulgur and remaining 2 cups chicken broth in another small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until most liquid is dissolved and bulgur is tender, about 13 to15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Add the bulgur to the lentils.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook until peppers are tender, another 5 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to bulgur-lentil mixture.
- Stir in parsley, basil, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to incorporate.