Pan-Roasted Asparagus With Tomatoes & Olives
- 12 oz tomato red, ripe, cherry
- 2 lb asparagus
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 oz whole kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp fresh basil shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- Cook 1 tablespoon oil and garlic in 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until garlic turns golden but not brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and olives and cook until tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes; transfer to bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add half of asparagus with tips pointed in 1 direction and remaining asparagus with tips pointed in opposite direction.
- Shake skillet gently to help distribute spears evenly (they will not quite fit in single layer).
- Add 1 teaspoon water, cover, and cook until asparagus is bright green and still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high, and cook, moving spears around with tongs as needed, until asparagus is well browned on 1 side and tip of paring knife inserted at base of largest spear meets little resistance, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer asparagus to serving platter, top with tomato mixture, and sprinkle with basil and Parmesan.