- 3 sweet red pepper medium
- 4 red plum tomatoes
- 1 oz almonds blanched
- 1 oz filbert (hazelnut) dried, raw, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic raw
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 oz bread crumbs panko, whole wheat
- Romesco is a sauce from Catalonia and served with fish, poultry, meats and vegetables. There is no one recipe or ingredient list. Invariably it has tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, almonds and mild chiles.
- Cut peppers into quarters and remove seeds.
- Halve the tomatoes.
- Oil and season them and lay them skin side up on a grill tray.
- Grill until the skins are blistered.
- Peel away the skins when cool.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil.
- When hot, add the nuts and fry until golden all over.
- Chop the garlic.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in the pan and fry the breadcrumbs and garlic until golden and crisp.
- Place the garlicky crumbs, tomatoes, peppers and nuts in a blender and pulse to a rough paste.
- Add the vinegar, season with salt and pepper and blend for 10 seconds.